The following is a translation that I did of an October 2003 interview from ABC with then-cardinal elect Julian Herranz, which is quite in depth and speaks much more on his relationship and view of Pope John Paul II. Very nice read.
***
The office of monsignor Julian Herranz looks directly out onto that of the window of the Pope. The Spanish canon lawyer, member of Opus Dei, is the person selected by Pope John Paul II since 1994 to preside over the Pontifical Counsel of Legislative Texts, similar to a Supreme Court, that gives original interpretations on the norms of the Church, and resolves conflicts.
This friendly Andaluz (from southern Spain) is a very special case in Rome. He was a student of medicine on his way to becoming a professor in Psychiatry, but there " was a change in direction:" and he began to study canon law, participating as an expert during Vatican II, and has worked with four Popes. An inside witness to the 25 years of Pope John Paul, Herranz is one of the people who best knows Karol Wojtyla.
What does it mean for you to have been named cardinal?
The naming signifies that I will become a member of the Pope´s Senate, the electoral body that assists in governing the Universal Church. And I have received it with calm and humiliation. I found out only at 1:15 the day prior to the announcement, when the Secretary of State called me to give the letter from the Pope.
In my case, I readily acknowledge that this isn´t a reward for personal virtues, but rather a present from the Pope for three things. First, in Canon Law, where I presided, helping the Holy Father in all that referred to the laws of the Church. Secondly, this is a demonstration of the Pope´s affection for Spain. And third, this is an example of the esteem the Pope has for the institution to which I belong, Opus Dei.
With six voting cardinals, Spain is third in ranking among countries with the most responsibility. What does the Pope want from Spain?
I am convinced that he expects a lot. The Pope loves Spain for its evangelizing role in many countries, but also for the spiritual richness of its mystics and the creativity of its intellectuals. The idea of Human Rights was already debated at the University of Salamanca centuries before the French Revolution and the "Enlightenment." The Pope knows this well, because he is very well studies, and has supported Christian anthropology.
The press mentions a Latin American block of 32 voting cardinals in the next conclave. Is it time for a Latin American Pope?
For me, truthfully, I don´like to talk about a future conclave. I say this very sincerly. I also don´t like to hear about factions between cardinals, and even less between "progressives" and "conservatives." To me this is very out-dated. When the cardinals meet - years from now, the most years possible - to elect a new Pope, the Holy Spirit will help them see who is to be elected.
More than any nationality, or particular human culture, I would say - this is important - that what counts is the culture of Christ. The cardinals will look for that person who has identified the most with Christ, and, therefore, has the greatest capacity to communicate Him to others. That is the mission of the Church.
How will they identify him (the new Pope)?
Today, thanks to global communication, the cardinals know a lot more than before. And they know very well, from their meetings, consistories, synods, etc., what are the orientations and the manner of each of the cardinals. And that is what will be decisive, not the nationality, the language or the culture. Christ is above national, economic and political interests, which in the past counted more, above all when power was linked to the civil world. But now, thank God, it´s not like that.
What is it like to work with a slow Pope after so many years of going at top speed?
It´s true that the Pope isn´t so fast walking: he now goes around in a wheelchair. But he´s just as fast thinking as he used to be, and, in reality, he´s slowed down a bit his rythmn of working. His limitations are in mobility and pronunciation, primarily as a result of Parkinsons. Any person who is 83 years old has some good days and some bad ones, and for him it´s the same. But I can say, from my personal meetings with the Pope, that his intelligence, his decisive capacity and awarness, is very strong, and continues to be. He really does have the control of the Church in his hand. There is no doubt.
And it shouldn´t be forgotten that John Paul II is a man with a profound interior life, he is a mystic. He lives in continual presence of God, and from there comes his extraordinary strength. They say that "the soul leads the body," and his is a soul that is passionately in love with Christ.
As a cardinal, you will now have to do other things...
Well, I am already pretty busy because besides the Pontifical Counsel for the Legislative Texts, I also preside over the Roman Curia´s Disciplinary Commission - which thank God - doesn´t give me too much work, and I´m a member of the congregations of bishops and clergy and sacraments, the Tribunal of the Apostolic Signature and the Pontifical Commission for Latin America. What will change, as far as scheduling, is that besides meetings with leaders from the dioceses, which is similar to a ministerial meeting, I will now attend the ordinary and extraordinary cardinal meetings.
You have lived half a century in Rome. What has been your worst and best memories?
My worst memory was June 25, 1976 when they tried to reanimate, even with artificial respiration, the founder of Opus Dei, Saint Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer, who died. To him I owe my personal encounter with Christ and my vocation to follow him (Christ) without placing any conditions. He was an instrument of God to make me happy. In those moments, I offered Christ my life in exchange for his (Saint Josemaria), but it wasn´t accepted.
And your happiest memory?
I believe that all days are happy ones when one lives with the understanding that they are a child of God. With a supernatural vision the human difficulties - no matter how big they may be - can´t take away that happiness and peace. But one day the stands out, like a mountain peak, is January 6, 1991, when Christ´s Vicar, Pope John Paul II, conferred on me fully the priesthood, and having at my side, Alvaro del Portillo, the sucessor to the founder of Opus Dei.
A mountain climber and poet, just like the Pope...you´ve even written a book titled " "Atajos del silencio."
No, the same, no. He (the Pope) is a genuine poet. For me this is just a hobby the mountain climbing during my university years in Madrid. Later, in Italy, I went to the Alps with the Italian Alpe Club, and in my missions in Latin America I climbed some of the peaks in the Andes.
But this little book, "Atajos de silencio" isn´t really a book of poetry nor of mountain climbing. It´s just my notes, written down after walks, with some spiritual insights. Mountain climbing is the sport in which there is one can pray the most. You walk contemplating on nature for hours, talking with God, thanking Him for so many beautiful things that you see, asking for light to be shed on problems...
And in your book you cite the Pope as a mountain climber
Only a little, indirectly. I couldn´t resist citing some of his words he spoke in 2986: "Nature is a book. Man should read it, not ignore it. In its pages there is a message that must be decifered. It is a message of love, in which God wants to reach the hearts of everyone and open them with hope." I like a lot this phrase. Nature helps us to think about the theology of Creation, to see all its beauty on a small plane, partial but real, of the infinite beauty that is God, on who the Pope contemplates and loves in categories metaphysically: the infinite faithfulness, the infinite justice, of infinite beauty, the infinite being... He is in love with God - but more than the God of philosophers, of God in flesh, Christ - and which causes him to love the people of God.
You admire him (the Pope) also as a poet?
In this context of love of nature, the "Tripteco Romano" (PJPII´s latest work) is precious. It is a difficult poem. It is debated whether or not the metaphysical can be used in poetry, and he (the Pope) I think shows that indeed it can be. When he speaks of "remontar el torrente", what is he referring to? Probably to those words of Christ´s in Jerusalem "He that is thirsty, come to me and drink," which are echoed to others through the Samaritan: "He that drinks the water that I give, will never more be thirsty. The water that I give will spring forth and give eternal life."
Post a Comment